Ask Mike - Can I get paid to be a caregiver for my disabled child?

Dear Mike,

I live in Kansas state and I want to know if a mom can get paid to be a caregiver for her disabled child (home health care service)?

Yours Curious in Kansas

Dear Curious in Kansas,

Thanks for writing. You ask whether the mom in Kansas could be paid to be a caregiver (of home health services) for her disabled child. The short answer is "Maybe". It depends on the program and the exact circumstances. You will need to contact the proper state officials so you can get the answers you need about your specific, individual issues such as eligibility, services and supports available, wages for workers, and so on. Our website can provide the information you need to be able to find the answers you want.

On our website, under State Information found on the upper left corner of the homepage, click on Contact Info and Descriptions for Medicaid Waivers. Next, click on "Kansas" on the map of the USA. Scroll down the page and take a look at the six different programs listed and the select the one (or ones) that seems to best fit the situation. Use the contact information to get directly in contact with the state officials administering the program(s) and ask the question.

Good luck!

Mike Oxford

Back to Ask Mike Ask Mike a question